Monday, September 24, 2012

Max Stock

So I like a bargain. I figured things would be really cheap here- salaries are about half as much as US salaries, but it seems like for the most part, most (or at least, many) things cost about the same as they do at home. Which makes no sense, but you know, it's reality.

Which is why I was super excited to have found this store called Max Stock pretty early in our time here. I found it randomly, walking from Ben Yehuda to the Shuk, it's right in a corner called Kikar Davidka, and looked interesting so I walked it. I'd call it an Israeli version of Amazing Savings. Like random random things that were overstocked, out of season or whatever, all collected in a big space which is kind of a mess, and definitely you need to buy anything you might want asap because it will definitely be gone the next day and they're not getting more.

Here are some random things that I've spotted there and wondered about their journey to this random store in Jerusalem...



A bin of Obama 2008 stuffed bears (2.5 Shekels each)


Shopping bags from the US store Anthropologie (my FAVORITE) (1 shekel each)

I love it there. I've perfected my New York/Israeli elbow shove, and gotten lots and lots of good stuff there over this year such as a set of dishes, service for 6 for 30 Shekels, Eitan's riding truck for 100 Shekels, and lots of random kitchen things, tupperwares, cleaning supplies and tools. It's always crowded, always a mess, but unlike a lot of discount stores at home, I always find something really good that I really can use.






On a recent trip, a couple weeks ago I did so well, that I felt the haul was blog worthy. Here's everything:



The total for all of this stuff was 46 Shekels, here's the tally:
  • 5 mini super glues
  • 1 toilet cleaner thing (you put it on the bowl and it cleans with every flush- everyone uses them here, I'd never seen them at home before)
  • 1 big carabiner hook (used to hang bags to the stroller- at home they go for $10 each)
  • 1 large roll of packing tape 
  • 3 paper table cloths
  • A bag of 40 plastic spoons
  • 1 set of small dessert size paper plates (10 count)
  • 1 bag that can get folded up for grocery runs- and it's even kind of cute
Seriously, 46 Shekels! That's like $11.50! Max Stock, you are awesome


No comments:

Post a Comment