Thursday, December 1, 2011

9.99 Shekel Lunch!

Lunch for $2.66 people. Diet coke didn't make the pic.

On our way to the Shuk yesterday, I passed a sign that was compelling for three reasons. One, it was lunch time and I was hungry, two, it was advertizing a felafel and a drink for 9.99 shekels, and three, .99 shekels is a currency iteration that does not exist...

So there's so such thing as a free lunch (except conference and meeting leftovers at Hillel, oh boy, I miss those leftovers and "lunch on 2" emails). BUT, lunch for $2.66, that's pretty pretty good.

I had a felafel and a diet coke. It was definitely not the worst felafel I've had, everything was made right there fresh, the veggies were great; but it was also not the best, just bare bones- felafel, Israeli salad, pickles, hold the skhug (because I was sharing with my little companion), hold the techina (because I don't like it). I would have liked some hummus, french fries, maybe a pickled carrot or something, but for $2.66, and available readily a couple steps from the entrance to the shuk (insurance from buying everything in there out of hungry desperation), I'm in. And I will be going there again for sure. Come visit, and I'll even spring for yours.

So let's get back to this .99 Shekel situation, okay? It doesn't exist. The smallest currency available in the country right now is the .10 Shekel, 10 Agorot. So it's all marketing. But really, I think it would be just as appealing to publicize a complete meal- felafel and drink- for 10 Shekels. 


Reveling in his thrifty Mama sharing!



Maybe next time, I'll build up some chutzpa and try to sass them into letting me pay 9.90. But probably not...because I want them to be my friends and keep selling me super cheap lunches on my shuk days.

Side note, you may be wondering why Ami is absent from the adventures nowadays. Well, Ami has become the busiest man in Israel.

He is at ulpan in the mornings, interning at  this Civil Engineering firm it the afternoons, and trying to eat every Shawarma in this country. And hanging out with us every once and while, including doing dinner/bedtime with Eitan so I can get my work done. Who would have thought? Right?


 

Two seconds before I dropped the camera on Eitan's head. Sorry buddy.

3 comments:

  1. It could also be called the 5 shnekel lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's seriously changing - he looks like a little man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to rub it in, but I have had free lunch for the past 3 days. Gotta love LAPID training leftovers.

    ReplyDelete