Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Neeman vs. Neeman

If you come here often, you know we've spent a lot of time in bakeries in the weeks we've been here. Being that the two pillars of my diet are sufganiot and burekas (believe it or not, Mindy Levin), I've had a chance to sample lots of different places.

So there's a chain of bakeries here in Jerusalem (and maybe elsewhere in the country? I don't know) called Maafiat Neeman- Neeman Bakery.                                                






They're all over- there's on in the mall near us, a big stand-alone branch on the way to the mall near us, one in the
center of town on the corner of King George and
Yaffo, (where the Sbarro used to be that got
bombed) and that's just off the top of my head. So, when down on Emek Refaim there is a little cafe called Neeman (it's some hebrew word I don't know and cafe- translations welcome, btw in the comments below...), I just assumed it was a fancy cafe version of the Neemans with some additional menu items and seating (like our neighborhood Marzipan).

But then, as I sampled all of the Sufganiot in this city, I noticed that the flavors and designs at the Neeman on Emek Refaim differ from the others.  And then, noticed that the logo of most of them is what looks like the silhouette of a rabbi guy, and the one on Emek Refaim, a rolling pin. So, on one Sufgania outing (Night 3 of Chanuka for those keeping track) as we walked in, Ami asked them what's the deal with the Neemans. So the story goes, says the woman at the register, that there were two brothers Neeman, who started the bakery. And many many years ago, like fifty, the broke away from each other, and the one on Emek is the only Cafe Neeman and some hebrew word I don't understand, with no continuing relationship to the ubiquitous chain.

So now, after that introduction, the real question arises. Which is better? With my very scientific methods of eating and comparisons, it's kind of a tie.

Maafiat Neeman (the chain) has better sufganiot, they taste better, but are less pretty. Their burekas are fine, but nothing amazing, and they're a bit stingy on the filling. Cafe Neeman has better Burekas, and tasty, sure, but prettier, not more delicious sufganiot. So then, I'd say, on a year-round basis, I'd rather be at Cafe Neeman. Plus they have amazing ice coffee that is so creamy and not-too-frappachino sweet.

Battle Sufganiya: Winner Maafiat Neeman


Beautiful, but not as good. BTW on the one on the right, that's a tiny little meringue on top, not cream. Adorable.
Totally appetizing, not beautiful, but Delicious.

 

 Battle Bureka: Cafe Neeman, hands down. Didn't even take pictures of Maafia Neeman...

Savory Burekas: Amazing. Especially mushroom.

Sweet Burekas: Amazing. I think sweet burekas may be rugelach, I'm not sure...

3 comments:

  1. the word is "kondetoriyah" or Confectionery (bakery or pastry shop) in english.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Bureka post without sesame on top is what is going to get NSL to visit....keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hudes- Thanks. Also I know you were trying to make fun of how I pronounce maafia. DB move. Classic.

    Mind- YES! Also I bought burekas in the grocery to bake at home, and they came with a packet of sesame seeds you can put on yourself, or leave off. Noam, we're waiting!

    ReplyDelete